Pages

2011/02/20

Whole 30 Day 2

My child, at 2 years, 1 month and 3 weeks of age, spontaneously told me she loved me last night! Parenting is the only relationship where you'd tolerate being physically stressed, your life inverted and sleep deprived, and hang around for more than two years before you get that big high. Or is it? How's your relationship with your body lately?

Feb 19, Dinner: Slow-roasted chicken (practically served with a spoon, it's so succulent) with preserved lemon allioli (using parsley instead of mint) and a freebased version of Cheeseslave's orange chicken sauce. I was so excited about the sauces that I forgot to prep vegetables, so we had the rest of the sauerkraut/carrot slaw from lunch.
Tasks: get the chicken bones on to simmer overnight for stock.

Breakfast: I was served a 3 egg omelet with mushrooms and smoked salmon by my morning-person husband, and finished it off with a mug of warm stock off the stove.
Tasks: Filter and jar up the chicken stock.

Unplanned interlude: While checking my email after breakfast I realised my vision was clouding up and starting to shimmer, a sure sign of a migraine. I went directly to bed - at 9am - and slept until 3 with occasional interruptions by my husband and child to bring me water. On those occasions I drank a litre at a time.

Lunch: egg salad with ham, straight from the container; 2 Tbsp dried mulberries; 1/4 cup crunchy almonds.
Tasks: None! Bless him, my husband made a coconut curry soup while I was sleeping, before laying down for his own nap.

Remarks:  This is my second migraine since starting the supplement and cleanse protocol. I'd had only 2 in the 15 preceding years. I can at least be grateful it happened on a weekend when I had backup at home. I really don't understand what's going on with this, and will have to ask my naturopath ASAP.

The orange sauce was delicious, and worth repeating. It isn't fair to say it's Cheeseslave's any more, since I omitted half the ingredients. Here's what I did:

  • 4 dried birds-eye chillies, and the 1/4 c hot water I softened them in
  • zest and juice of 2 large organic oranges
  • 3 to 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 inches ginger root, minced
  • 1 cup chicken broth (had none, which is why we're roasting a chicken!)
  • 2 -3 tablespoons naturally fermented soy sauce tempeh
  • 3 tablespoons white wine
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 6 1-2 tablespoons honey (which is a W30 cheat, but you can't have that much salt and sour without a bit of balance)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Simmer together while doing other things like pulling the chicken out of the oven, then strain into a small pitcher. I found that even in this reduced form there is more than enough, and am looking forward to pouring it over something else this week. Chicken leftovers? What leftovers?

Got WAPF? L to R: fish stock, ghee, refined and unrefined coconut oil, whey, chicken stock. Busy weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I'd guess the migraines are related to die-off from GAPS. Basically, any symptom you've had will get worse for a time. Migraines stink (I used to have them); I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete